Sunday, 13 January 2013

In the Night Sky...

Hello all,

I've an admission to make...I am a geek and proud of it :-)

This week (if you are a fellow nerdlinger) you may have looked up at the skies and spotted Orions belt shining in the night sky or even Mars after sunset and Venus before sunrise, you might even have watched Stargazing on the telly. I was lucky enough to receive tickets to the 'Stargazing Live' event held at the Gibside, so on a freezing cold Wednesday we headed off to spot the Prof and Dara whilst wrapped up to within an inch of our lives (actually dragged t'other half, as he's a non-geek!)
 

The chapel at the Gibside was floodlit bright red and looked so striking against the bare trees and the (thankfully clear) winter sky...


 
 
There were several marquees set up where there were various talks being given on a wide range of physics and astronomical related subjects. There were puzzles too such as the rope puzzle Galileo used to determine whether or not a person was clever enough to solve and therefore work for him...(we did it... *smug face*!)

 

Particularly interesting was learning about black holes and also the reasons behind the names given to the constellations...

Alas, both the Prof and Dara were nowhere near the Gibside, but I thoroughly enjoyed it anyway (I think t'other half secretly did too!!)


It really was a freezing cold night to be out for several hours, and the weather has gotten colder still as the week has gone on. This was taken at 2.30pm this afternoon...it looks so much later however such a hazy shade of winter...


The snow did fall, but not the volume we were expecting...I think it is saving itself for later tonight...
(yep, I haven't removed the baubles from the pots - I like the colour they bring to this time of year!)


As it was so cold today, I made the most of a lazy Sunday morning and retreated back to bed armed with a bacon sandwich and a box set of Scott and Bailey to watch under the warmth of the duvet. When its cold like this, it is pointless starting any diet (WW is looming again...) as I take to the kitchen and bake...

This afternoon I thought I'd make some banana bread for the first time in absolutley ages and try out this new ceramic loaf tin as the silicone ones I find a bit flimsy and naff...



Ooooh, it didn't fail....


A copious amount of tea needed to accompany the numerous slices...well when its warm I cant resist it...



So for the rest of the evening (the calm before the storm of another busy week) the next 'recipe' enjoyed will be selected from this book....




A 'book' filled with YC votives all with a 'foodie' theme... (a Christmas present from Lovely Mum)


oh, and just to show what t'other half thinks of me....he bought me this for Christmas...

 
 
Charming or what...?
 
Have a good week all, enjoy the snow if it comes!
 
BH x

5 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with being a geek! I love seeing the stars at night and would especially love to see the Northern lights. Last year was supposed to have been a good year for seeing them in the Uk although there was too much light pollution here to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just started snowing again here :-) We watched Stargazing too & enjoyed it. Ooh and that banana bread looks yummy!
    Have a good week xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh be a geek! The stars are wonderful! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hubby and I are often called geeks by grown up son, something to do with our love of sudoku (amongst other things). We watched Stargazing too :) Banana bread looks yummy and makes me think I need a new loaf tin! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We err on the side of geeky too - loving Prof Brian! We have an Observetory near us - its privately owned, but they run evenings for the public to attend and they are fab xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.I try to reply to everyone, but sometimes time runs away from me, but please know I appreciate and enjoy reading each and every one of them! (with the exception of SPAMMERS! They should be aware I'm not going to publish a single one of them and therefore they are wasting their time by even trying here!)
Thank you, BH x