Monday, 21 January 2013

Snow, Stitching and Strawberries..

Hello all,

Hope everyone has been coping with the arctic snap...

It has caused no end of upheaval here; our 4x4 is off the road and in the garage for repair and wont be ready til the end of the week...typical! My poor mini just goes into hibernation when the snow hits and refuses to budge..(bit like me come to think of it...)

Still, one good thing the cold weather brings is great photo opportunities...these 'frost ferns' on the car window appeared the morning after the temperature dipped to a balmy minus 6...

 
After the frost, came the snow....in truckloads...
 
The thermometer on the side of the garage is there to show me just how cold it is in case all the white stuff isn't a big enough clue...
 
 
On Sunday afternoon we headed down to the pub in the village...
 

 
 
It was nice to get out in the fresh, crisp air during a break in the snowfall...
 
 
Why is it everything looks better after a snowfall...?
 
 
It's only a short walk from home to the pub, but after my usual dawdling taking photos it was great to find a spot by the fire to thaw out my feet!
 
 
The poor birds need a helping hand during weather like this as its hard for them to find food, so I hung some 'fat balls' from the branches of the sleeping plum tree and then made them a little extra treat out of some wire, monkey nuts and ribbon... 
 
 
 A heart shaped peanut bird feeder...
 
 
 Pretty yet practical...
 
 
The garden looks like it is somewhere in Scandinavia...a while since we've had this much snow but after 14 hours of constant snowfall its no surprise...
 
 
Indoors, there's candles galore lit, no better time than on snowy days...
 
 
Sweet Strawberry burning in the lanterns on the kitchen windowsill...a hint of warmer times ahead (hopefully...)
 
 
 The first bit of cross stitch started and completed in ages...this would look nice on linen but a) I couldn't find the bit I have and b) I cant stitch on it anyway, so I tea stained some white aida and used that instead...
 
 
I've had this gold frame for ages, bought for less than a pound at a CS but the gold is a bit too garish...
 
 
Bring on the spray paint again..! Nothing is safe at the moment when there's a can of that in my stash...
 
I cut a mount from cream card and framed the finished piece in the newly-non garish cream frame...
 
 
My reward for my stitchy streak returning...???
 
A mahoooosive strawberry cream tart....
 


Honestly, I'll use anything as an excuse....

BH x

11 comments:

  1. What a delightful post!! I'm loving it......everything from the snow to your dotted mug! Thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you did have a lot of snow - looks so pretty, but can be a nightmare! Luckily, we didn't have too much and has melted away today! Love your bird feeder and your cross stitch and frame is gorgeous! You certainly deserved that strawberry tart :)

    Keep cosy, Estelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. really really love the cross stitch picture..im with you on the candle burning,makes everything cosy
    sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some lucky birds there! It lovely, so is your embroidery! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos. We got snow here in Dublin yesterday morning, all 2 hours of it. It was gone by the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love cosy candles, such warm amber light! I love all of your makes and beautiful pics.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I share your passion for the candles and the strawberry tarts! I have got my candles burning now, it helps me feel better somehow while I'm recuperating.Sadly I dont have any strawberry tart- ah well, good for the waistline.Love the idea for the monkey nut heart I might have a go at one when I'm up to going out to the shops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahah a girl after my own heart! Very well deserved I reckon - the stitching is gorgeous and I LOVE LOVE the peanut wreath.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the peanut heart - I want to make one! I strung some peanuts on a piece of wool with a needle (which hurt my fingers as they are quite hard) but the birds haven't touched them. Off to look for some wire...........

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh youve inspired me yet again... off to find monkey nuts now! Dont know if you know of the 365project, fantastic year long fee project where you can upload a pic for a day for a year, theres threads to give you inspiration, themes and lots more, im now hooked and off facebook!!! x http://365project.org/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow the shot of the 'frost ferns' is amazing! Love the heart shaped bird feeder, such a cool idea.The framed heart cross stitch is gorgeous!!! You've inspired me to take it up again, thank you.

    Barrina x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.I try to reply to everyone, but sometimes time runs away from me, but please know I appreciate and enjoy reading each and every one of them! (with the exception of SPAMMERS! They should be aware I'm not going to publish a single one of them and therefore they are wasting their time by even trying here!)
Thank you, BH x