Saturday, 23 November 2013

Indulgence...


A few weeks ago, I managed to indulge in something I've hankered after for ages... an afternoon tea at the Randolph Hotel in Oxford...


There's been a few times when I've been lucky enough to stay here, but never partaken in this particular treat, and oh.my.word... it didn't disappoint...

It was late on in the afternoon, so the 'rush' had gone, and just a few tables were left occupied and it was perfect to sit, take in the ambience of the place, read a little and savour the delectable little delicacies presented before me...


The cakes were little marvels, the sandwiches divine, and the scones....perfect....They came with little pots of both strawberry jam and lemon curd and cream so thick it could be sliced!


And yes, in case you are wondering, I did indeed trough the entire lot. All of it. Every single bit.

As I was in Oxford for work, it was a sole experience, but I had a great book to keep me company.

The book is called When Will There Be Good News? and is completely different from my normal style of read. That's because I picked this book up at Newcastle airport where it had been left by the Philanthropists Book Club, a group of  book lovers who leave books in random places for people to find and pick up and enjoy - all they ask is that you let them know that you found it via their FB page, and then return the favour by leaving it somewhere for someone else to find - such a great idea!


It was dark and cold by the time afternoon tea was over,  so no shopping but a hot bath called my name instead (Molton Brown products in the hotel bathrooms - a very nice bonus!) so off I went with said book...

The room also had a great view of the Martrys Monument outside...



At dawn the next day the clear skies gave way to another lovely view...the dome of Radcliffe's Camera is to the right of the photo... a nice start to the day...


Not all travel has been work related for me recently. A trip to York for a spot of Christmas shopping had no work connections for once. What joy!

Everything is looking nice and festive in York at the moment, lovely window displays, decorated trees and fairy lights galore are festooned indoors and outdoors...nowhere is more pretty than the Shambles though...


The amount of times I've visited York previously, I never knew there was a 'thing' for cat sculptures..

Cat on a cold, slate roof...this was pointed out to me and I've googled a bit on the cats of York and there are so many - next time I'll be keeping an eye out! See the link here if you fancy seeing how many you can spot if you are visiting...

This particular one suits its surroundings so well...


Always one for the 'quirky', this topiary of a dog 'relieving' himself  against a posh florists doorway amused me somewhat..


By dusk the temperature had dropped, the sky took on a gorgeous variegated navy blue and the Christmas lights sparkled brightly against it, and there was a distinct need for something hot to drink...Mulled cider with spices hit the spot ever so well... It was like Christmas in a glass, so instead of mulled wine this year, mulled cider it will be instead (if anyone has any recipes for it I'd be very grateful if you could send me a link- thanks!)


There hasn't been as much craftiness going on as there should have been in recent weeks (especially as I've two fairs coming up), but a bit has been squeezed in here and there...

A wooden barley twist lamp bought at a 'boot in the summer had been waiting patiently for its turn to be made over, so out came the LA paint, some stick on pearls and a plain cream lampshade...

So it went from this....
 

It then got turned into this...

Simple and quick little crafty project...I like this kind at the moment!

 
Another finished article in the shape of this...
 
A tea cosy for my 'sconing' friends occasion birthday...
 


So to reward myself after some hard labour involving stick on pearls and a sewing machine, I treated myself to a slice (or two) of chocolate cake...


Any excuse to indulge and eat cake really....

BH x

9 comments:

  1. So, Was that FOUR pieces of cake???? Haha! Just Love afternoon tea, must be the best meal! Love your tea cosies too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that idea of the Philanthropists Book Club. I leave bits of yarn everywhere I go . Like a yarn trail. I hope the birds find them to line their nests or the colours make someone' s day. Too quirky really but hey ho!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Afternoon tea sounds like so much fun, I would love to attend one sometime. Your creations are lovely, you're very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, afternoon tea .... one of life's special treats. And a trip to York as well! One of my very favourite places, especially at Christmas time.
    I think your six-tea cosy is lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of having afternoon tea while reading a good book, it sounds lovely. We were in the York the other week and I noticed the cats (and the dog, hee). There was a lovely atmosphere :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post. Some lovely goodies, a trip to York (one of my favourite things especially at Christmas) and afternoon tea in a posh hotel! Fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww what a great post - ooh liking that afternoon tea. Need to stay at that hotel if you get MB goodies - wow!!!. I have that book but not read it yet - for some reason its keeps going to the bottom of my reading list - oops. Totally spooky as well I'd not heard of the York cats until my son went on a school trip recently and it was brought to their attention - I'm wanting to do it - soon :-). Love your light base transformation. Good look with your fairs - Gibside???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why do you feel guilty for all those luscious cakes?! I would have done exactly the same if I were you :D
    Kerry, thank you very much for visiting and leaving me such a lovely comment!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The afternoon tea looks divine and even better that you didn't have to share! Your shots of York really make me want to visit there again, it's been years. I never knew about the cats. I love the dog too, that's so much fun. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.I try to reply to everyone, but sometimes time runs away from me, but please know I appreciate and enjoy reading each and every one of them! (with the exception of SPAMMERS! They should be aware I'm not going to publish a single one of them and therefore they are wasting their time by even trying here!)
Thank you, BH x