Wednesday, 19 February 2014

My Favourite Winter Warmer - The Co-Operative Recipe Competition

We all know the feeling; a busier than busy day, freezing cold outside and desperately in need of a hearty plateful of stick-to-the-ribs food that can be made quickly and easily when you get home. There isn't much that fits the bill better in my opinion than a good old fashioned toad in the hole.

A lot may gasp in horror at the thought of making this from scratch as some people have mixed results with the traditional Yorkshire pud recipe. This however, is my favourite easier than easy recipe that has never failed me and can be whisked up and in the oven before you can say "freezer aisle" and therefore an ideal recipe to enter into the Co-Operative  Winter warmer recipe competition. (click on the hyperlink if you'd like to enter your recipes too)

So gather up some simple storecupboard ingredients, and get cracking...


You'll need:

1 cup plain flour and 1 tbsp SR Flour (the SR gives it the extra 'boost' and it'll come up extra, extra fluffy)
1 cup milk (I use semi skimmed)
3x eggs
2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
sprinkle of sea salt

4 sausages of your preference - I like to use vegetarian sausages, but you can use any kind you like

a suitable pan; I use a 7" square cake tin

Firstly, pre-heat your oven to 220 degrees/200 degrees fan, then add the oil to the pan. Put in the sausages and pop into the oven to cook for 15 minutes.

Next, sieve together the cup of plain flour with the tbsp of SR flour, add the three eggs and the cup of milk. Sprinkle with a little sea salt and give a good whisk 'til nice and fluffy.


After 15 minutes, the pan with the sausages in the oil should be nice and hot, so carefully remove from the oven and pour in the batter mix. This should sizzle when you pour into the oil to ensure you get a good fluffy rise from your pud.


Put back into the oven to cook for another 40 minutes and you will then have one huge, fluffy toad in the hole to warm your cockles.


This recipe really does produce ginormous puds!


 
The recipe works perfectly for individual Yorkies for Sunday lunches as well.


I usually serve with mashed potato and onion gravy, but an accompaniment of any root veg or roast potatoes is just as comforting on a chilly winters night.

 

All that's needed for the rest of the evening is a comfy spot on the sofa in front of the fire , a throw to huddle under and the telly remote control...warm on the inside and warm on the outside...

Bliss...
 

 
BH x

 *This post is my entry into the Winter Warmer Recipe competition at www.coopelectricalshop.co.uk*
 

 

 

 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Now this is what I call yummy. The trouble is I can't bake a Yorkshire Pud - they NEVER rise. I have thrown more puds in the bin than I've eaten them. I've tried - leaving the mix to rest, both room temp, and fridge for half an hour, using just self raising flour, not using it, adding baking powder, using half water half milk - you name it I've done it. My grandmother would just throw in the ingredients without measuring in very laid back manner and had perfect puds every time!
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toad in the hole with roast vegetables is a favourite in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pudding looks amazing (don't you love it when they almost touch the top of the oven!)and you are so right there is nothing better than Toad in the Hole with lashings of onion gravy, mash potatoes and veg, especially on a cold Winter's evening! Your post has made me super hungry now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cant beat it! We love yorkshire puds with anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Toad in the hole is a fave of mine and this looks blooming amazing!!

    Victoria
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi BH, I've followed your blog for a while now and love your photos and stories about everything that is nice in life! Being a techy dinosaur, this is my first comment and I also thing we've crossed paths at The Crafts House in Marley Hill! Love your toad in the hole recipe - I like to add apple and fresh chopped sage to mine as it goes well with pork sausages. Good luck with your recipe entry. Karen B

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.I try to reply to everyone, but sometimes time runs away from me, but please know I appreciate and enjoy reading each and every one of them! (with the exception of SPAMMERS! They should be aware I'm not going to publish a single one of them and therefore they are wasting their time by even trying here!)
Thank you, BH x