Wednesday, 23 April 2014

Sweet April...

Happy Easter! (albeit ever so slightly belated...)

I love Easter, the colours, the re-emergence of life at this time of year, the family get togethers', the time off (!) and of course the chocolate....cant forget that now...

As for all the seasons, I like to decorate (or faff about) with things to reflect the time of year, and Easter is no exception. This year I haven't gone the whole hog, just a few things here and there. This outdoor topiary wall mounted decoration lights up at night (LOVE solar gubbins) but during the day was a smidgen bare, so a few multi coloured mini eggs (faux) were dotted about in usual faffing fashion.


As well as a simnel cake for easter Sunday, (which got sliced and distributed before any camera action could take place) I made some Easter bark.... simply made by layering melted milk chocolate, topped with white chocolate and bashed mini eggs on top (real this time...)


This pasta caught my eye in TK Maxx of all places...way too pretty to smother in Bolognese sauce though...


Perfectly timed for Easter, the pots on the patio have decided to show their springtime colours. The trees are covered in blossom, the roses are shooting and the wisteria is on its way (hopefully to flower for the first year too). The tulips are by far the prettiest right now though, despite a damp, dreich morning the orange of this one still shone amongst the drizzle...


More autumn looking than spring, the thick fog that had hung around a few weeks back made for some lovely glistening spiderweb shots...


Close up it reminds me somewhat of a delicate crystal strand, like chandelier droplets...nature really is beautiful...even in the rain...


Speaking of rain, it ever so kindly held off for a bit whilst mooching about for the day in Edinburgh...


When it did start to mizzle, there was an afternoon tea at a posh hotel to enjoy anyway! It was my birthday and also that of one of my aunties, and tea came with a candle in cakes for us both...just lovely...


I'd heard so much about the Dome in Edinburgh, so a visit was in order for a cocktail (or two...) and what a spectacular place it is...


It was really busy, but it was a Saturday afternoon (and Grand national day) so I think everyone and their gran were out and about in the city... Looking forward to visiting at Christmas as this place apparently excels at Christmas d├ęcor...and just a wee bit of a sucker for that kind of thing I am...


 
Travels didn't stop with Edinburgh that week either, a visit to Cambridge made my heart sing. Again mentioning Christmas in April, I love Carols from Kings on Christmas Eve, mulled wine, lights twinkling, fire on, slightly tipsy and singing at full volume is what its all about for that particular hour...


The Chapel however, was closing 20 minutes after I got there, so never got to go inside, but next time...definitely...


Walking about the grounds of the colleges was like taking a step back in time...walking amongst the ghosts of eras gone by... This spot especially made me feel as though I could be walking through a page of one of my favourite books...Goodbye Mr Chips...


Back at home, where else but in the Huff House are a few weekend hours spent (ok, more than that..)
T'other half has said many a time before that my standard 'dress' for the Huff House is my 'duvet' (ie dressing gown), so I made an apt little plaque to hang up in there... honestly, this sooo could be me....

There's a list the length of my arm of projects to start and finish; like Caroline Zoob embroideries to frame, a wedding gift cushion to make, bunting to eventually sew together...it goes on....


But for now though, that elusive sun is shining, Easter and its festivities has been and gone, but long may the wonderful weather continue that was enjoyed over the holiday weekend...


Now I've the choice of a little bit of gentle gardening, some more crafty bits to get on with, or my book calling my name to read outside in the sun...?

(yep, it's the book calling...)

 
BH x

6 comments:

  1. Hope you had a really lovely Easter. I think more of us are choosing to decorate at various times of year and my granddaughter put some Easter ornaments out on my driftwood tree for us.
    Edinburgh is a beautiful city,lucky you to have had such a lovely birthday treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts are always fab LOVE your makes always so professional!!! Sounds like you had a great birthday sending you a belated birthday hug - what are you reading??? And I NEED t o so your soon stitching :-) no pressure xxx lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooooh!!! That is a treat!!! Edinburgh a place I have been wanting to visit for a long long time. My niece used to live there and she told me lots! I think this photo of the dome,makes me even more eager to visit. It is impressive!
    Great photos of Cambridge too which brings back fond memories as I used to live there.

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pasta is such fun if only I ate it!

    Victoria
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post! That Easter bark looks yummy. I'd be a sucker for those pasta shapes too! :) A belated Happy Birthday to you - great photos of Edinburgh and Cambridge. It has been a very long while since I have visited either. Best wishes, Pj x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.I try to reply to everyone, but sometimes time runs away from me, but please know I appreciate and enjoy reading each and every one of them! (with the exception of SPAMMERS! They should be aware I'm not going to publish a single one of them and therefore they are wasting their time by even trying here!)
Thank you, BH x